In this article, we present a novel full-band Monte Carlo device simulator for modeling 4H-SiC power electronic devices in which, for the first time, the Coulomb interactions have been accounted for through a real-space molecular dynamics approach. Proper treatment of the electron-electron interactions is critical for modeling power electronic devices because of the high electron densities. In addition, because of the high applied voltages, the use of a full-band Monte Carlo device simulator is a must. The simulator has been successfully used to explain on a physical basis the steady-state and the switching behavior of a 3-D vertical double-diffused MOSFET (VDMOS) fabricated in the 4H-SiC technology.
- full-band device simulator
- power vertical double-diffused MOSFET (VDMOS)
- real-space treatment of Coulomb interactions
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering