Millimeter Wave Beam Recommendation via Tensor Completion

Tzu Hsuan Chou, Nicolo Michelusi, David J. Love, James V. Krogmeier

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contribution

1 Scopus citations

Abstract

Accurate and fast beam-alignment is essential to cope with the fast-varying environment in millimeter-wave communications. A data-driven approach is a promising solution to reduce the training overhead by leveraging side information and on-the-field measurements. In this work, a two-stage tensor completion algorithm is proposed to predict the received power on a set of possible users' positions, given received power measurements on a small subset of positions. Based on these predictions and on positional side information, a small subset of beams is recommended to reduce the training overhead of beam-alignment. Numerical results evaluated with the Quadriga channel simulator demonstrate that the proposed algorithm achieves correct alignment with high probability using small training overhead: given power measurement on only 20% of the possible positions when using a discrete coverage area, our algorithm attains a probability of correct alignment of 80%, with only 2% of trained beams, as opposed to a state-of-the-art scheme which achieves 50% correct alignment in the same configuration. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first work to consider the beam recommendation problem based on measurements collected on a small subset of positions.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Title of host publication2020 IEEE International Conference on Communications, ICC 2020 - Proceedings
PublisherInstitute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc.
ISBN (Electronic)9781728150895
DOIs
StatePublished - Jun 2020
Externally publishedYes
Event2020 IEEE International Conference on Communications, ICC 2020 - Dublin, Ireland
Duration: Jun 7 2020Jun 11 2020

Publication series

NameIEEE International Conference on Communications
Volume2020-June
ISSN (Print)1550-3607

Conference

Conference2020 IEEE International Conference on Communications, ICC 2020
Country/TerritoryIreland
CityDublin
Period6/7/206/11/20

Keywords

  • Millimeter wave
  • beam-alignment
  • position-aided
  • sparse learning
  • tensor completion

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Computer Networks and Communications
  • Electrical and Electronic Engineering

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Millimeter Wave Beam Recommendation via Tensor Completion'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this