This paper describes controller design for the static compensator with mathematical analyses, and simulation model development with the EMTP to analyze the dynamic interaction with the ac transmission system. The main circuit was modeled by a 12-pulse voltage source inverter with ideal gate turn-off switches, and the signal generation and control circuit was modeled using the TACS in the EMTP. The effects increasing transmission capacity, damping low-frequency oscillation, and improving transient stability were verified with the model developed, assuming that the static condenser is connected to the 154 kV line for a typical one-machine-infinite-bus transmission system.
- EMTP (electro-magnetic transients program)
- FACTS (flexible ac transmission systems)
- STATCOM (static compensator)
- TACS (transients analysis of control system)
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Energy Engineering and Power Technology
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering