Impact of acids on the structure of linde type a zeolites for use in reverse osmosis membranes for wastewater recovery

H. Jamieson, A. Waller, H. Yin, Marylaura Thomas

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contribution

Abstract

Membrane separations and osmotic processes are attractive options for wastewater reclamation, and with growing concerns over a depleting global water supply such technologies are rapidly becoming more valuable. Previously, hydrophilic Linde Type-A (LTA) zeolites have been incorporated into polyamide reverse osmosis membranes, creating high flux membranes called Thin Film Nanocomposite membranes[1], [2]. In our ongoing work, we are exploring the use of zeolite nanocomposite membranes for the recovery of potable water from wastewaters. We are specifically interested in the wastewaters generated by NASA on the International Space Station (ISS). Currently, only 70% of the wastewater generated on the ISS is recovered; the remaining 30% of the water is stored for later disposal in the form of brine[3]. With the retirement of the NASA space shuttle fleet, the need to minimize use of ground-based resources is a high priority; as a result, NASA desires to maximize water recovery[4]. Our research focuses on using LTA zeolite nanocomposite membranes to recover water from the urine and urine brine wastewaters produced on the ISS. The small pore size of the LTA zeolite should make it ideally suited to allow passage of water, but rejection of small neutral organic molecules such as urea, a main component of urine[5].

Original languageEnglish (US)
Title of host publicationSeparations Division 2013 - Core Programming Area at the 2013 AIChE Annual Meeting
Subtitle of host publicationGlobal Challenges for Engineering a Sustainable Future
PublisherAIChE
Pages430-431
Number of pages2
ISBN (Electronic)9781634390545
StatePublished - 2013
EventSeparations Division 2013 - Core Programming Area at the 2013 AIChE Annual Meeting: Global Challenges for Engineering a Sustainable Future - San Francisco, United States
Duration: Nov 3 2013Nov 8 2013

Publication series

NameSeparations Division 2013 - Core Programming Area at the 2013 AIChE Annual Meeting: Global Challenges for Engineering a Sustainable Future

Other

OtherSeparations Division 2013 - Core Programming Area at the 2013 AIChE Annual Meeting: Global Challenges for Engineering a Sustainable Future
CountryUnited States
CitySan Francisco
Period11/3/1311/8/13

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Engineering(all)
  • Chemical Engineering(all)
  • Energy(all)

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Impact of acids on the structure of linde type a zeolites for use in reverse osmosis membranes for wastewater recovery'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this