Estimation of CO2 emissions in a wastewater pipeline project

Beibei Zhang, Samuel Ariaratnam, Jiajie Wu

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contribution

1 Scopus citations

Abstract

With increasing concerns about global warming, energy conservation and emission reduction have become a growing consensus and a global priority towards sustainability. As a fundamental infrastructure to sustain human activities and civil development, wastewater pipeline networks are receiving attention in the context of population growth and industrial expansion in urban areas. It is therefore quite challenging to analyze the environmental impact of wastewater pipeline projects and explore effective construction methods and strategies. A model to estimate CO2 emissions resulting from a typical wastewater pipeline project was developed based on life cycle theory. Wastewater pipeline construction emissions are divided into three categories: 1) material manufacture; 2) material transportation; and 3) pipe installation. The methodology for estimating CO2 emissions is demonstrated using a wastewater pipeline project in Suzhou, China. The results concluded that the materials consumed most by weight are sand, cement, cohesive brick, gravel, limestone, and UPVC pipe. It was also found that most of the emissions from material manufacturing were from UPVC pipe, which provide an insight into revealing the elements with significant reduction potential. CO2 emissions released by producing material accounted for approximately 87% of total emissions, while the emissions released in the other two categories were less than 13%. The unit CO2 emission of the studied wastewater pipeline construction project using traditional open-cut methods was 516.59 t CO2/km. This provides a reference for estimating CO2 emissions resulting from other wastewater pipeline projects.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Title of host publicationICPTT 2012
Subtitle of host publicationBetter Pipeline Infrastructure for a Better Life - Proceedings of the International Conference on Pipelines and Trenchless Technology 2012
Pages521-531
Number of pages11
DOIs
StatePublished - Apr 17 2013
EventInternational Conference on Pipelines and Trenchless Technology 2012: Better Pipeline Infrastructure for a Better Life, ICPTT 2012 - Wuhan, China
Duration: Oct 19 2012Oct 22 2012

Publication series

NameICPTT 2012: Better Pipeline Infrastructure for a Better Life - Proceedings of the International Conference on Pipelines and Trenchless Technology 2012

Other

OtherInternational Conference on Pipelines and Trenchless Technology 2012: Better Pipeline Infrastructure for a Better Life, ICPTT 2012
CountryChina
CityWuhan
Period10/19/1210/22/12

Keywords

  • CO emission
  • Wastewater pipeline
  • emissions factors

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Geochemistry and Petrology
  • Geotechnical Engineering and Engineering Geology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Estimation of CO<sub>2</sub> emissions in a wastewater pipeline project'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this