1 Citation (Scopus)

Abstract

Melamine-based resins are used extensively in laminates, plastics, coatings, glues, and dinnerware. Little is known, however, about the occurrence of melamine and its derivatives in the environment. In this study, a nationwide survey of melamine and its derivatives, namely ammeline, ammelide, and cyanuric acid, was conducted, using archived sewage sludge samples collected from 68 wastewater treatment plants in the United States (U.S.). The sum concentrations of four target compounds in sludge ranged from 34 to 1800 ng/g dry weight (dw), with a mean concentration of 240 ng/g dw; melamine (46%) and cyanuric acid (40%) collectively accounted for 86% of the total mass of analytes. No significant geographical variation in the concentrations of melamine and its derivatives in sewage sludge was found. The estimated emission of melamine and its derivatives via land-application of sludge was approximately 1600 kg/yr in the U.S. The hazard quotient values for melamine in sludge-amended soils ranged from 2.2 × 10−5 to 4.4 × 10−3, indicating that the current levels of melamine in sludge pose a minimal risk to the soil environment.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)994-999
Number of pages6
JournalEnvironmental Pollution
Volume245
DOIs
StatePublished - Feb 1 2019

Fingerprint

Melamine
Sewage sludge
Sewage
Derivatives
Soil
Plastic coatings
Soils
Weights and Measures
Acids
melamine
Surveys and Questionnaires
Glues
Waste Water
Wastewater treatment
Adhesives
Plastics
Laminates
Hazards
Resins

Keywords

  • Cyanuric acid
  • Melamine
  • Nationwide survey
  • Risk assessment
  • Sewage sludge

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Toxicology
  • Pollution
  • Health, Toxicology and Mutagenesis

Cite this

A nationwide survey of the occurrence of melamine and its derivatives in archived sewage sludge from the United States. / Zhu, Hongkai; Halden, Rolf; Kannan, Kurunthachalam.

In: Environmental Pollution, Vol. 245, 01.02.2019, p. 994-999.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{c6d6b9bb91224092af36cfc2f6c645b8,
title = "A nationwide survey of the occurrence of melamine and its derivatives in archived sewage sludge from the United States",
abstract = "Melamine-based resins are used extensively in laminates, plastics, coatings, glues, and dinnerware. Little is known, however, about the occurrence of melamine and its derivatives in the environment. In this study, a nationwide survey of melamine and its derivatives, namely ammeline, ammelide, and cyanuric acid, was conducted, using archived sewage sludge samples collected from 68 wastewater treatment plants in the United States (U.S.). The sum concentrations of four target compounds in sludge ranged from 34 to 1800 ng/g dry weight (dw), with a mean concentration of 240 ng/g dw; melamine (46{\%}) and cyanuric acid (40{\%}) collectively accounted for 86{\%} of the total mass of analytes. No significant geographical variation in the concentrations of melamine and its derivatives in sewage sludge was found. The estimated emission of melamine and its derivatives via land-application of sludge was approximately 1600 kg/yr in the U.S. The hazard quotient values for melamine in sludge-amended soils ranged from 2.2 × 10−5 to 4.4 × 10−3, indicating that the current levels of melamine in sludge pose a minimal risk to the soil environment.",
keywords = "Cyanuric acid, Melamine, Nationwide survey, Risk assessment, Sewage sludge",
author = "Hongkai Zhu and Rolf Halden and Kurunthachalam Kannan",
year = "2019",
month = "2",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1016/j.envpol.2018.11.089",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "245",
pages = "994--999",
journal = "Environmental Pollution",
issn = "0269-7491",
publisher = "Elsevier Limited",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - A nationwide survey of the occurrence of melamine and its derivatives in archived sewage sludge from the United States

AU - Zhu, Hongkai

AU - Halden, Rolf

AU - Kannan, Kurunthachalam

PY - 2019/2/1

Y1 - 2019/2/1

N2 - Melamine-based resins are used extensively in laminates, plastics, coatings, glues, and dinnerware. Little is known, however, about the occurrence of melamine and its derivatives in the environment. In this study, a nationwide survey of melamine and its derivatives, namely ammeline, ammelide, and cyanuric acid, was conducted, using archived sewage sludge samples collected from 68 wastewater treatment plants in the United States (U.S.). The sum concentrations of four target compounds in sludge ranged from 34 to 1800 ng/g dry weight (dw), with a mean concentration of 240 ng/g dw; melamine (46%) and cyanuric acid (40%) collectively accounted for 86% of the total mass of analytes. No significant geographical variation in the concentrations of melamine and its derivatives in sewage sludge was found. The estimated emission of melamine and its derivatives via land-application of sludge was approximately 1600 kg/yr in the U.S. The hazard quotient values for melamine in sludge-amended soils ranged from 2.2 × 10−5 to 4.4 × 10−3, indicating that the current levels of melamine in sludge pose a minimal risk to the soil environment.

AB - Melamine-based resins are used extensively in laminates, plastics, coatings, glues, and dinnerware. Little is known, however, about the occurrence of melamine and its derivatives in the environment. In this study, a nationwide survey of melamine and its derivatives, namely ammeline, ammelide, and cyanuric acid, was conducted, using archived sewage sludge samples collected from 68 wastewater treatment plants in the United States (U.S.). The sum concentrations of four target compounds in sludge ranged from 34 to 1800 ng/g dry weight (dw), with a mean concentration of 240 ng/g dw; melamine (46%) and cyanuric acid (40%) collectively accounted for 86% of the total mass of analytes. No significant geographical variation in the concentrations of melamine and its derivatives in sewage sludge was found. The estimated emission of melamine and its derivatives via land-application of sludge was approximately 1600 kg/yr in the U.S. The hazard quotient values for melamine in sludge-amended soils ranged from 2.2 × 10−5 to 4.4 × 10−3, indicating that the current levels of melamine in sludge pose a minimal risk to the soil environment.

KW - Cyanuric acid

KW - Melamine

KW - Nationwide survey

KW - Risk assessment

KW - Sewage sludge

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85059297807&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85059297807&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.envpol.2018.11.089

DO - 10.1016/j.envpol.2018.11.089

M3 - Article

VL - 245

SP - 994

EP - 999

JO - Environmental Pollution

JF - Environmental Pollution

SN - 0269-7491

ER -